For a leader to become a good leader, a leader of choice, he or she needs to enjoy respect of the people whom he/she will be leading. And, respect only comes when it is mutual – leader first needs to learn to give respect to his/her team or people in order to enjoy their respect. I am just sharing my thoughts, which are based on my life experiences, right from the time when I was a small boy, following my elder brother, trusting him completely that he will do the right thing to today when I have the fortune of guiding friends discover their own path and leading successfully to their destinations.
I believe, more than capability, it is the attitude that makes a leader. So, the question that is more important is, Can we develop the right attitude for becoming the leader that we would like to follow in our life? The answer is a big YES!
There are a few things that a person can do to be the choice leader rather than be an imposed leader. Let’s dive straight into them….these are:
1. Focus on inculcating self discipline and not control
3. Be involved, but not all the time
4. Trust them to the job, it’s okay if there are a few mistakes
5. It’s important that you talk but it is equally important that you listen well
6. Stand up for them and not up to them
7. Be fair, all times
9. Let them know that you don’t have all the answers but are ready to seek them
10. Learn to celebrate together!
This article is tuned more towards leadership situations that we experience in our careers and workplaces, although the suggestions are applicable to all aspects of our lives. Tell me what you make of these 10 points. In my future articles, I will try and discuss each of these points in detail. In the meantime, also please share your thoughts on what makes a good leader. I look forward to your valuable comments.
Thanks for reading through this post!